MASTER DEGREE PROGRAMS: ENGLISH PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENTS
The English requirements for the Wiesbaden Business School's Master degree programs are the CEFR levels as shown below.
|Master degree program||CEFR level required|
|at enrollment||by end of 2nd semester|
|Accounting & Taxation (LL.M.)||B2||B2|
|Versicherungs- und Finanzwirtschaft (M.Sc.)||B2||B2|
|Controlling & Finance (M.A.)||B2||C1|
|Sales & Marketing Management (M.A.)||B2||C1|
|International Management (M.A.)||C1||C1|
CEFR is the abbreviation for the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment, a guideline used to describe achievements of learners of foreign languages across Europe and, increasingly, in other countries. It was put together by the Council of Europe. CEFR itself is neither a language test nor a language certificate, but a grading system.
There are two ways to provide proof of your proficiency in English.
- You can pass an internationally recognised English exam (see table below) and submit a copy of the certificate with your application. Tests three years old or less are accepted. For older tests, please check with WBS' Head of Business English.
- You can take the OOPT, a computer-based English test, in the university’s Language Center and obtain the required point score for the course you wish to study. For more information about dates and registration, please refer to this Language Center's webpage. If you want to learn more about the OOPT: take a look at the webpage Oxford Online Placement Test.
Master’s applicants who are unable to provide formal certification of a B2 / C1 level in English before the closing date for applications should contact the Wiesbaden Business School for advice.
Comparison / Acceptance of English Language Certificate
The table below lists the level to be documented by results of one of the following standardized language tests. Other tests will not be accepted.
December 3rd, 2015
|AKS||UNIcert||Niveau II||Niveau III|
|Cambridge||BEC||Vantage: C, B or A|
|Higher: C, B or A|
Vantage: A only
|CAE||C, B or A||C, B or A|
|CPE||C, B or A||C, B or A|
|FCE||C, B or A||A only|
|IELTS||Academic: 5.0||Academic: 6.5|
|ETS||TOEFL||iBT: 61||iBT: 79|
|TOEIC||Listening + Reading: 750||Listening + Reading: 850|
|TELC||TELC||English, Business or University:|
|English, Business or University:|
Explanation of terms:
AKS = Arbeitskreis für Sprachenzentren = Association of Language Centres
- UNIcert = Foreign Language Certificate for Universities
- BEC = Business English Certificates (three levels - Prelim, Vantage, Higher)
- BULATS = Business Language Testing Service
- CAE = Certificate of Advanced English
- CPE = Certificate of Proficiency in English
- FCE = First Certificate in English
- IELTS = International English Language Testing System (only the format Academic is eligible)
- PET = Preliminary English Test,
ETS = Educational Testing Service
- TOEIC = Test of English for International Communication
- TOEFL iBT = internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language
TELC = The European Language Certificates
- only the formats English, English Business or English University are eligible
HSRM = Hochschule RheinMain
- OOPT = Oxford Online Placement Test (at the HSRM Language Center)