Social Work

Bachelor of Arts

HSRM offers over 70 degree programs at five faculties:

All degree programs

What is it?

Social work provides professional help and supports people with various difficulties by encouraging them to tap into and develop their self-help capacities. It is characterized by a socio-spatial approach and thus plays an active role in shaping lifeworlds and circumstances.

Social work provides support and guidance to help people to (re)discover their own resources and use them to lead a self-determined life. In our degree program, students acquire the skills that are necessary to work with people in critical and challenging circumstances to change their social conditions and expand their range of possible courses of action.

What can I do with it?

The fields of social work range from providing support with development and coping tasks for people of different ages to counselling and providing guidance in the context of the increasing complexity of professional, family and social life.

Graduates of our degree program are state-certified social workers or social pedagogues. They work in the public sector as well as in non-profit and commercial organizations in the social, educational and health sectors. The various professional fields include child and youth welfare services, youth welfare offices, work for the elderly, rehabilitation, counselling, educational work, community projects, intercultural work, drug abuse prevention and addiction help services.


For degree-seeking students: detailed information on admission requirements, application deadlines, etc. can be found on the German page.

Key facts

Study location

Wiesbaden, Kurt-Schumacher-Ring Campus

Standard period of study

7 semesters

Main language of instruction

German - We offer courses in English for exchange students.

Accreditation agency


Commencement of studies

Winter and summer semester


Our i-Punkt (information desk) ) at the Kurt-Schumacher-Ring Campus is there to answer all your questions about studying and applying.

You can contact Professor Kerstin Herzog directly for further information.