What is it?
Mathematics is increasingly recognized in industry and commerce as a "key technology"; increasingly complex mathematical models and methods are used in almost every sector. In order to deal with demanding and complex application problems, conceptual understanding, modelling competence and the ability to think in abstract terms are required. In the Applied Mathematics degree program, mathematics is taught in an application-oriented manner, but without making compromises in terms of the academic standard. The focus is on scientific and technological applications. In addition to basic mathematical subjects (analysis, algebra, numerical mathematics, stochastic theory), there are three areas of specialization:
- Modelling mechanical structures,
- Financial and business mathematics,
- Dynamic systems.
Students choose their area of specialization after the first semester.
What can I do with it?
As a graduate of this degree program, you will find career opportunities in almost all sectors of industry:
- aerospace, automotive construction, traffic planning, energy supply,
- logistics, communication, process engineering, process planning, systems engineering,
- regulation and control systems, robotics, sensor technology, image processing, automation,
- materials testing, materials science, biomechanics, medical technology, nanotechnology,
- banking and insurance, management consulting, financial supervisory authorities.
Being hired by a company is often not so much a question of the subjects you have studied but more about the analytical and problem-solving skills acquired while studying mathematics and the ability to think logically, carefully and systematically. Studying mathematics therefore offers you a wide range of future-proof career prospects regardless of the economic situation.
For degree-seeking students: detailed information on admission requirements, application deadlines, etc. can be found on the German page.
Standard period of study
Main language of instruction
German - We offer courses in English for exchange students.
Commencement of studies
Winter semester only
Our i-Punkt at the Kurt-Schumacher-Ring Campus is there to answer all your questions about studying and applying.
You can contact Professor Edeltraud Gehrig directly for further information.