I will be starting my studies at HSRM. Where can I live?

We recommend that you actively look for accommodation in good time, for example by applying for a room in a dormitory or a private accommodation on the open housing market. The university does not own or manage any dormitories and cannot provide accommodation. It is important to start looking for accommodation early and to be patient.

What types of accommodation are there?

Student residences offer small separate living units for students and their limited spaces are highly sought after. The student residences do not belong to HSRM, but to the Studierendenwerk Frankfurt or to private providers.

Living in a WG (shared flat) means that you share an apartment with flatmates.  In addition to the lower price, in a shared flat you can make contacts with other people and use your German language skills.

Another cheaper option would be to look for a sublet room. In this form of housing, you live in a house or apartment within a family or with senior citizens who have spare living space. You would have your own room, but probably share a kitchen and bathroom with the landlords. 

Students are often looking to sublet their room short-term, for example, while they are spending a semester abroad. This is only a temporary solution.

Further information can also be found in the Living in a student dorm – An illustrated dictionary by the Deutsches Studentenwerk. 

How do I apply for a student dorm?

You can apply for a student dorm at the Studentenwerk Frankfurt; they have one student residence in Wiesbaden and two in Rüsselheim. Another option are private providers. In all cases, you must apply to the respective provider yourself and in good time. You can also put your name on a waiting list if you don’t get a place straight away!

Check out an overview map of residences of the Studentenwerk Frankfurt as well as further information about the online application.

In addition, there are a number of private providers of residential homes in Wiesbaden and Rüsselheim. 

How can I find accommodation on the private housing market?

You can find accomodation ads on the internet, in newspapers, Stud.IP or the notice boards at the university (to be found on the walls in the main buildings of the campuses). Perhaps you already know some (future) fellow students who can find you a room in a shared flat.

Here are some useful links:
Wohnungsbörse des AStA Wiesbaden
Studierendenwerk Frankfurt
Campo Novo Mainz
Hillside Wiesbaden

You can also get advice from the student union AStA or your welcome tutor if you need support.

How can I find accommodation for the first couple of nights?

If you have not yet found accommodation when you arrive in Wiesbaden, Rüsselsheim or the surrounding area, take a look at the following options to find a place to stay for the first few months: 


Jugendherberge Wiesbaden (youth hostel)

Accommodation in Wiesbaden

Accommodation in Rüsselsheim


International Office

International Students and Prospective Students

Katharina Kampe

Email:    welcome(at)hs-rm.de

Telephone: +49 (0) 611-9495 1527